Save Money Developing Your Mobile App
The name of the technology is called React Native. It's been in development since 2015, but recent advances and a robust ecosystem have truly made it the go to technology to decrease cost in mobile app development.
With a single code base to support both Android and Apple iOS not only will there be a faster time to market, but the often overlooked maintenance and upgrade costs will also be lessened substantially.
- You need features unique to the particular platform, for example, iMessage.
- You need something optimized to the device. This is typical for graphics.
- Third party libraries that exist for one platform and not the other. Functionality may have to be natively duplicated on the 'other' platform. This is known as a 'bridge' library.
The considerations above can be sussed out pretty quickly and if you're developing a mobile app for the first time, these limitations can usually be avoided. The good news is that React Native offers the best of both worlds. We can use common solutions for both platforms and whenever necessary, develop a native module to solve a native problem. We're not limited in the least.
- Which technology will be used to develop the mobile app?
- What is the cost difference between supporting one platform vs. supporting both platforms?
- Will native code have to be written for either platform?
Question two is likely the most important question for two reasons. First, cost is obviously important to any business, but the answer here will shed light on questions one and three. If the company you're getting estimates from is utilizing a cross platform technology, the cost between one vs. both iOS and Android shouldn't be too much higher. At most, we usually estimate about 1.5x more in a worst case scenario but have seen instances where the additional expense is negligible. Naturally, this depends on how complicated your mobile app is and if it needs native features.
To conclude, spending some time "sharpening your axe" up front is going to save a lot of time and money down the road. We have successfully delivered custom mobile apps using React Native and we continue recommending that technology in the vast majority of situations. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us for free mobile development information and guidance.